Monday 15 April 2024

Day 1 Sevilla Airport to Triana




 Monday April 15th    



The day dawned grey and wet so I wasn't sorry to be leaving grey Freuchie behind,

Pauline had volunteered to drive me to Edinburgh Airport and see me off. I had naively assumed that in a dedicated drop off point for which you pay £5 for the dubious privelege of stopping vaguely near Departures for ten minutes, there would be some luggage trolleys. Not a one. None abandonned at the entrance to the airport. I had to go all the way to the Ryanair check in desks to eventually find one (and the clock was running).

The rest of the check in procedure was straightforward. I queued for longer for my coffee than at check in or security. Had I partially deflated my tyres "Of course" I lied. Had I any liquids, No, And my boxed steed made its way into oblivion. Ryanair was on the ball and nearly everyone had to put their carry on luggage in the bag sizer. It had to happen the size of the bags that some people take on board.

Fortunately my bike eventually appeared in oversized luggage  at Seville airport and I could begin the not insignificant task of rebuilding that which I had disassembled. the first conundrum how to open th box which my glamorous assistant had closed so assidiously. I tried my key but it was making little impression so I gathered my best Spanish and asked a huddle of six Guardia Civil if I could borrow a cuchillo (knife). He came and sliced the box open in one well practised movement.

An hour later I was on the hard shoulder of the slip road for the A4 motortway on my way into Sevilla centro in bright sunshine and 30 degrees. Another hour later and I arrived at Monicas house, in Triana. It is a small but perfectly formed two bedroom flat on the second floor which we are sharing for the night, Not whar I thought I had signed up for €26 in Seville during the Feria it is more than acceptable.

Monica is heading out to take part in the Feria at one of the many "Casetas". I am off to find oats and bananas and energy bars for tomorrow. Fortunately there is an Aldi just around the corner

The jury is out on the effects of my cough on my ability to cycle. I felt comfortable enough this afternoon but it was only 15k and pancake flat.

I feel tapas and a cruzcampo coming on.



Habitación tranquila Triana
Accommodation:    Habitación tranquila Triana    Avenida de Alvar Núñez, Triana, Seville, 41010, Spain    pop. 700k    

Booking.com    8.7    €26

Distance 20 kms (I got lost)




5 comments:

  1. Welcome to Seville, Brian. You will now join the elite band of Adventurers who set out from Seville on epic voyages. Think Magellan, Columbus, Juan Elcano ( first to complete the round-the-world voyage) - Brian Forrester just trips off the tongue in that esteemed company. Not all plain sailing but sure you will join that pantheon of travellers whose great adventure is celebrated through the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just down the road from us in Coin. Here till Wednesday then back to Raissac for Friday and Saturday then returning home on Sunday .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike and Gill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully your cold won’t hold you back . Good luck today .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brian, another little trip then!!! I visited the Seville Feria a couple of years ago the horses and costumes were amazing. I would love to return to see the beautiful architecture.
    I hope you enjoyed your stop there and are fortified for the next leg of your ride. Good luck I hope all goes to plan.Looking forward to hearing about your exploits along the way, as Mike said we arrive in Raissac on Thursday and leave Sunday so I don’t think you will be cycling that quickly !
    Maybe catch up in the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Raissac D'Aude at last!

 Monday April 29th Yesterday at 13.10 I finally cycled past the Mairie, past le parc, past la croix along rue du tilleul to la maison du mur...